Thursday, November 17, 2011

Pre-Mall Accra

I only do blue-moon drop-ins at the Accra Mall. The cars and crowds are too “clustered thick as seeds”. I nurse a middling memory of pre-mall Accra. There was the government’s GNTC. It lay down and died when I was still an embryo. Chandirams went out like a candle. Kingsway kicked the bazaar bucket. Glamour walked the plank, and UTC bit the dust. Melcom survived (sometimes on a respirator, I think). A&C came and found a niche and reposed in it. There weren’t too many cars, then; Kingsway’s palm-size car park worked just fine. There was no colourful range of glittering goods to spike your Saturday surprise. Now, as then, some stay at home. Then, there was too little (to choose from). Now, there are too many (people to shove out of the way).

2 comments:

  1. Kwame Mensa-Bonsu18 November, 2011

    Guess there was not much, if any, planning for the management of the potential footfall vis a vis fire, etc. It's a disaster waiting to happen from what I hear.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I still remember the first time I snuck out, braved public transportation and went to Kingsway.
    Am I wrong in thinking Acrra Mall is all about MTV?

    ReplyDelete

After writing your comment, please select the Name/URL box below, and write your name in the box, before submitting your comment.