Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Traditional African Soap

For many, ‘European’ Soap smells nice, but leaves them with spotted, speckled skin. They’ll still not fall back on Alata Samina, Black Honey Soap or some similar ‘African’ Soap because they do not smell like heaven, although they leave your face as smooth as heaven’s highway. Lately, though, the soap-makers have caught on to sweetening their cleansers with Pear and Aloe, Lemon and Citronella. And now ‘modern’ people can avoid the pineapple face and still leave the shower with some natural, seductive fragrance.

6 comments:

  1. I'm happy about that. Waiting for the same to happen to shea butter. I buy shea butter for pesewas at the market but when they put it in the natural products store, packaged in nice containers and with a little bit of fragrance, it costs 10 cedis. So i just look, and think it's a nice try but go back to getting it from the market...even if they wrap it for me in black plastic bags. Afterall, i'm able to put them in old pomade containers myself. And when i spritz on some perfume, i think i'm good.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Esi, I would wanna agree with you to some extent. But I think it is about time we re-packaged some African concepts to make them more attractive to all and sundry. I wouldn't mind paying a few extra cedis to help encourage this move.(and I hope it would be worth it!!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ah, so true NY! Even the improved ones can have all kinds of chemicals and I can testify 'cos I started breaking out in hives after using one of the so alled natural products! I need to ask my folks to send me some alata samina!...lol

    ReplyDelete
  4. Esi, can you seriously squirt some fragrance into the already-processed shea and make it smell nice? Smart move about getting your own shea butter on the market.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes, Edward, but the price added should be commensurate with the value added, no?

    ReplyDelete
  6. If they sent it, Maxine, what would you do about the none-too-pleasant, natural smell?

    ReplyDelete

After writing your comment, please select the Name/URL box below, and write your name in the box, before submitting your comment.